Monday, April 26, 2010

2010 Razor Sports Icons

Not long ago I sent an email to Razor Collectibles inquiring about any upcoming releases, checklists, etc. Their website has not been updated since November 2009 and it got me wondering if the company was still in business.

I received an email back and Razor Collectibles is still thriving and has an upcoming release, the 2010 Razor Sports Icons set scheduled to be released in June.

Scheduled Release Date: June 2010
Box Configuration: 1 card per pack, 1 pack per box
SRP: $79.99/per pack at Blowoutcards.com pre-sell

Box Break:
1 Cut Signature per pack

Normally I am not a fan of cut signatures, but in a situation where a player has passed away or is no longer capable of signing autographs cut signatures can make a wonderful alternative as long as it is done well.

Razor has put together an amazing checklist of over 600 current, retired and deceased players from a number of different sports including baseball, basketball, boxing, football, golf, hockey, MMA/UFC, softball and racing. Each player is limited with many signatures limited to only 1 with the highest numbered to #/48. With only 299 cases produced, there are 12 boxes per case and that means there are only 3,588 total cards in the seriously limited set.

The checklist reads like a “Who’s Who” of sports history. You have the chance to pull baseball inventor Alexander Cartwright (above left), Bart Starr, Buck O’Neal, Gordie Howe, Jack Dempsey, Muhammad Ali (above right) and Roy Campanella. There are even Dual Cut Signatures, how cool would it be to pull a Babe Ruth/Lou Gehrig or Buck Leonard/Judy Johnson dual card?


My Thoughts:
I love the idea of cut signatures when the checklist includes some of the best players to ever play their sport and are no longer with us. I am not a fan of using cut signatures of athletes that are still in the game or still signing regularly like Ken Griffey Jr, John McEnroe or Michael Jordan but I can forgive that if I were to pull one of the other cards.

I am torn on whether I will pick up a box, the price is not the obstacle it is just with my luck I would probably pull a Bud Selig cut signature, probably the worst MLB Commissioner ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment