Friday, January 10, 2014

Corky's 2013-14 NFL Playoff Predictions Divisional Round



The second round of the 2013-14 NFL Playoffs are here. We will see four games this weekend, two on Saturday and the other two on Sunday.   



I will follow the same process as last week where I will make my personal predictions, which will be bolded, and my collectible predictions, which will be italicized. I will focus mainly on the skilled position players and try to display a variety of the player’s rookie cards. I will also try to cover different players for teams that played last week.

First is last week’s predictions and results:
With my personal predictions I was 3-1, with my collectible predictions I was 1-3

Game 1:
Personal prediction: Colts (1-0)
Collectible prediction: Colts (1-0)
Kansas City Chiefs at Indianapolis Colts
Betting odds: Colts favored by 2.5 points with an O/U 46.5
The Colts won 45-44

Game 2:
Personal prediction: Saints (2-0)
Collectible prediction: Eagles (1-1)
New Orleans Saints at Philadelphia Eagles
Betting odds: Eagles favored by 2.5 points with an O/U 53.5
The Saints won 26-24

Game 3:
Personal prediction: Bengals (2-1)
Collectible prediction: Bengals (1-2)
San Diego Chargers at Cincinnati Bengals
Betting odds: Bengals favored by 7 points with an O/U 47
The Chargers won 27-10

Game 4:
Personal prediction: 49ers (3-1)
Collectible prediction: Packers (1-3)
San Francisco 49ers at Green Bay Packers
Betting odds: 49ers favored by 2.5 points with an O/U 47.5
The 49ers won 23-20



Let us move on to the Divisional Round predictions

Game 1:
New Orleans Saints at SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
Betting odds: Seahawks favored by 8 points with an O/U 46.5

Saints:
Drew Brees QB
Darren Sproles RB
Kenny Stills WR
 
Seahawks:
Russell Wilson QB
 Marshawn Lynch RB
  Golden Tate WR

 I know I seem like I am being a “homer” here and selecting my Seattle Seahawks but I am being fair. As I said last week, the New Orleans Saints are a good team and they produce but Drew Brees is the only player many people can even name on the team. Meanwhile Wilson has put the Pacific Northwest on the map for many collectors, Lynch and his Skittles fed resurgence has made him relevant again in the hobby and Tate, while arrogant, is about production.

WINNER: Seattle Seahawks


Game 2:
Indianapolis Colts at NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
Betting odds: Patriots favored by 7.5 points with an O/U 53

Colts:
Andrew Luck QB
Donald Brown RB
  Reggie Wayne WR

Patriots:
Tom Brady QB
 LeGarrette Blount RB
 Rob Gronkowski TE

This one is a bit of a pickle, both teams have QBs that are hobby elite. One is at the beginning of his career and the other is in his twilight. The next step is to look at the next tier of players worth collecting, the Patriots have Gronkowski (who gets a bonus for being a Univ. of Arizona alumni) but the rest of the team is support. The Colts are a young team with energy and collectors love that. Hilton, Fleener, Richardson, Brown and even the old man Wayne is collectible. I think the Patriots will take the game because Brady has a way of making things happen but I think collectors lean towards Luck and the Colts.

WINNER: Indianapolis Colts


Game 3:
San Francisco 49ers at CAROLINA PANTHERS
Betting odds: 49ers favored by 2 points with an O/U 42

49ers:
Colin Kaepernick QB
Anquan Boldin WR
Vernon Davis TE

 Panthers:
Cam Newton QB
 DeAngelo Williams RB
 Greg Olson TE
 


This week I think it is the 49ers who are definitely the more collectible team. Cam Newton has come back from a bit of a sophomore slump and he was the hobby darling in 2011 so I think he has regained some of that collectible swagger but he is about it in Carolina blue. Williams is a producer and Olson has gotten better but they just do not have the collector’s attention, not like the 49ers.

WINNER: San Francisco 49ers


Game 4:
San Diego Chargers at DENVER BRONCOS
Betting odds: Broncos favored by 10 points with an O/U 54.5

Chargers:
Phillip Rivers QB
Danny Woodhead RB
 Eddie Royal WR

 Broncos:
Peyton Manning QB
Knowshon Moreno RB
Demaryius Thomas WR

I am not going to try and argue for the Chargers, when it comes to what collectors want it is Peyton Manning.

Winner: Denver Broncos

3 comments:

  1. As a fellow Hawks fan... I've gotta admit I'm a little concerned about next weeks game against SF. I'm confident that Seattle's defense is one of the best... if not the best in the league. They were solid against Brees... until the fourth quarter when he was running the two minute drill. Plus they almost picked off two more passes and should have recovered a fumble (can't understand why Pete didn't throw the red flag).

    But their offense has struggled in recent weeks. At mid season, Wilson's name was being mentioned in MVP conversations. However he hasn't looked better than your average NFL QB for several weeks. Hopefully he'll turn things around next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly my feeling too, the offense becomes lethargic. The same thing happened during the Cardinals game too. I hope the high energy offense shows up.

      Delete