Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The First Card Of 2014



My first card purchase of the year, a 1998 Flair Showcase Wave of the Future Travis Lee
   I have seen a couple of the Wave of the Future cards showing up in blogs recently and I decided to look in to them. I dig the wacky inserts of the 1990s and this one is definitely on the wacky side. The 12 card set was made up of young players and each card was made of two acetate cards with vegetable oil and sparkles between them to give the impression of ocean water.

For someone who has been a Diamondback fans since the expansion team was announced in 1995 I have very few of their cards so going with Travis Lee was an obvious choice. Travis Lee was one of the original Arizona Diamondbacks, he also has the distinction of having the first hit as well as the first homerun in team history. He was later traded to Philly for Curt Shilling, so you can say he was part of the catalyst for the team winning the World Series in 2001.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome card! I actually just got this same card myself recently. I haven't even had a chance to blog about it. I see that you are at 100 Followers. Congrats! I'm going to end the contest and give away some card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. The problem I have is that I don't know which cards I want. I have drifted away from collecting baseball.

      Delete
  4. 90's inserts are awesome! They just don't make cards like this anymore.

    ReplyDelete