Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Art Gallery: 2012 Topps Mars Attacks Heritage Red Martian




This month’s Art Gallery display is from the 2012 Topps Mars Attacks Heritage release. The original Topps Mars Attacks release was in 1962 so this release was for the 50th Anniversary of the original set. Included in this release were a variety of inserts including parallels, 3D cards, printing plates and sketch cards.

With the sketch cards the artist was allowed to take their own impression from the Mars Attacks line, including the original release, Tim Burton’s 1996 movie and the comic books. This card was done by Dave Tata, a well-known illustrator that has done work for a couple of animated shows and he is found on quite a few sketch card checklists including Topps Mars Attacks, various Topps Star Wars sets Cryptozoic DC The New 52, Cyptozoic Batman, Cryptozoic Superman, Cryptozoic Walking Dead and various Rittenhouse Marvel sets.

Earlier last year I purchased a Mars Attacks sketch card from a seller who flaked out. After I got a refund from eBay he told me his was sending the card anyway, which never happened. I ended up finding this card, which I liked better. What caught my attention first was the color. I like the red, there is a connection with Mars plus red=anger and that is implied here too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment