Friday, April 3, 2015

Can On-Card Autos And Acetate Carry A Set?


It has been a week since the release of Topps online-exclusive acetate product 2014 Topps Translucent Football. Each $99 (add $6+ shipping) contains 2 rookie on-card autographs from the 43-card checklist. The only parallel is a Sepia version limited to #/5.

Topps considers the release as a “Test issue” to see how collectors respond to the product and singles are showing up slowly on eBay. There are currently 16 singles plus 2 boxes up for auction. The highest bid is a Derek Carr base autograph at $28.00 with 12 bids and 4 days left.

It is too early to tell how the set will do and there seems to be interest but the question is will collectors jump on board. The 43-card checklist is made up entirely of rookies and because of the late release Topps was able to build the checklist around solid rookies but do people want to pay $99 for two rookie autographs when you have a chance of pulling Lorenzo Taliaferro and Jarvis Landry?

I like the set, the design is simple but very cool and I am a big fan of acetate cards and you can never argue an on-card autograph but there is no way that I am willing to take a $100 gamble. I will look in to picking up the two Seahawks (Paul Richardson and Kevin Norwood) and that is about it. I am disappointed in Topps selection for the Cardinals, they definitely selected the wrong rookie. They went with QB Logan Thomas who got in to only 2 games instead of WR John Brown.

2 comments:

  1. In every picture I've seen of these, the cards look muddy and blurred. I don't even think I'd pay $50 a box for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not worth the risk for me... but that's not saying much since I don't bust open too many high end boxes. On the flipside... acetate cards & on-card autographs are an amazing combination.

    ReplyDelete