Tuesday, May 26, 2015

The Art Gallery: 1992 Sportraits Ken Griffey Jr


 
This month’s Art Gallery display comes from the 1992 Sportraits promotional cards. These cards were promotional cards given away to promote painter Ed David’s sports paintings. The reason that I am including this card as an Art Gallery card is because it is based on a watercolor and oil painting and it was not inserted in to packs which makes it an oddball.

The painting is from the famous 1989 Upper Deck #1 card, which was actually a photo that was taken in 1988 while he was with the San Bernardino Spirits and airbrushed in to a Mariners uniform, but in place of the Seattle “S” on the cap there is a “G” for Griffey.

I came across this card in Google Images and I knew I wanted it. The page didn’t have any information so I had to hunt it down and finally got the card info on Zistle and then went on the hunt to find one. I am not able to find anything about Ed David or his studio Limited Editions in Whittier, California but I was able to find the trademark for Sportrait(s) which was issued on November 1991 and cancelled in May 1998.

As far as I know there were only two series and each series had 4 cards on the checklist including Cal Ripken Jr. Ken Griffey Jr., David Justice and Nolan Ryan. Series One cards were #25,000 and Series Two cards were #/10,000 each. The Cal Ripken Jr. cards seem to be the most common cards to find followed by the Griffey card. They are also pretty reasonably priced, I spent $4.50 shipped.

No comments:

Post a Comment