Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Jay Buhner con los Lobos de Arecibo


My Jay Buhner PC has been a rather easy collection to build because of the availability of his cards. There are a couple of limited cards but a majority of my collection has been picked up on COMC for under 1 dollar. It helps that his career checklist is pretty much limited to official release base cards and Mariners’ SGA sets, because most collectors consider him a semi-star (To me, most Mariners fans and Frank Costanza he is a super-star) he just doesn’t show up outside of base cards too often.

But every so often an oddball shows up that I had no knowledge of and I go in to full finder mode, not often but it happens. Last year I found out about a card out of Puerto Rico, 1988-89 Blanco Y Negro (BYN) Jay Buhner #A-22 and at the time I could not find any for sale and even worse, I couldn’t find an image so I didn’t know what I was chasing.

Eventually I found a seller out of Puerto Rico who was selling different BYN sets, including the 1988-89 BYN Lobos set with Buhner, but the site was questionable at best and my emails to them were bounced back as undeliverable but when I found out they sold on eBay under a different name I was excited.

Jay doesn’t seem to be very happy to be part of the Lobos de Arecibo organization but when you consider he only batted .189 over 30 games you can understand why he looks frustrated.

5 comments:

  1. Jay Buhner deserves to be remembered more. He may only be a Hall of Very Good caliber player, but I think that whole team outside of Junior, especially Buhner and Edgar, fails to get the respect they deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating card. Why is it called "Blanco Y Negro Cards" if it's in color? What's with the "live and respect work" slogan (if I'm translating that correctly)?

    Wonder if any Mets are in that set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool card. I don't remember seeing him look so young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember ever seeing him with hair. I believe he's got a little peeking through by his ear.
      Great oddball addition!

      Delete
    2. I have around 130 Buhner cards and only 2 of them show him without a hat or helmet and they both are when he was bald. I would love to find a card where he isn't wearing a hat and has hair. That would be the ultimate Buhner collector card LOL

      Delete