Sunday, October 1, 2017

So You Don't Have To Experiment #4- The No Buy Zone


I have been reading stories about people working on clearing their debt and one thing that always comes up is stop using money to buy non-essentials. With most people, this is heading to a coffee joint instead of making it at home or stopping by Chipotle for lunch but with me it is buying cards. I haven’t spent a lot on cards this year but when you tally up the cards I have purchased for a dollar here and a pack there it does add up.

My medical debt has begun to creep up again because I have met a number of new doctors over the past few months and they all want to run various tests that relate to their specialty and tests like MRIs, X-rays and blood tests add up fast, my co-pay for an MRI I had two weeks ago was $175 and I have another MRI for my knees and hips that I will be doing in December or January.

So as part of my So You Don't Have To experiments, for the month of October I will not purchase anything outside of those things necessary; food, medical/medicine, gas, bills, etc. Not a penny will go to my collection, which will be difficult because I enjoy searching eBay and COMC daily. I will continue to sell cards on eBay but any money from those sales will remain in Paypal

To determine how much I will save, each time I find a card that I would normally bid on I will move that much money over to my savings account. Since this year has been slow in purchases, I bought only 3 cards in September, I will determine the amount as if I really wanted to purchase the card and ignore my circumstance of paying off medical bills. 

I am certain that by Halloween I will be jonesing for new cardboard.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like your blogging friends might need to revisit your GoFundMe page, or at the very least, send a few cards your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A full month without new cardboard? You can do it! I usually go all of December and January without making any purchases... but those are the dormant days between the previous and new collecting season.
    Good luck on all fronts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decided to start saving money to buy a new place in August and my first step was to delete most of my eBay searches. It worked wonders. Best of luck on your experiment.

    ReplyDelete